15 min read
Hi, I am Jonathan Hayashi. After graduating from University of Rochester with double degrees in Optical Engineering and Financial Economics, I worked in one of the top 3 investment banks in Japan, SMBC Nikko. Later on, I joined one of the largest VC firms in Japan, SBI, and took charge of growth stage investments in Blockchain, Fintech, and AI Sector. I joined Cornerstone Ventures in 2020.
Purpose of this article:
- As a venture capitalist who focuses on Greater Southeast Asia market, I want to get some hints on which sector to look at, by analyzing what kinds of startups have grown rapidly and/or received massive funding and became unicorns in a somewhat similar market, China.
- And since timing is one of the most important factors in venture investment, I also want to find out in what order that each sector has seen a rapid growth.
- On the other hand, I will point out the companies that had been shut down, despite their unicorn status, and study their failures in future blog articles.
- I also hope that the potential entrepreneurs in Greater Southeast Asia as well as people who are interested in working at startup companies could start thinking about which industry or sector they should enter.
Part I and Part II, III, IV, … :
- For part I, I will simply consolidate the lists of unicorns I found through my research, and provide basic information for each company.
- For later on, I will tag each company with multiple labels, such as “fintech”, “vertical EC”, “established by large corporates”, “established in less than 3 years”, “merged with competitor later on”, etc., and visualize the result with charts and graphs.
Background: Large tech companies in China that had been well established by 2014
Companies that already became Unicorns before 2014:
Companies that became Unicorns in 2014:
Companies that became Unicorns in 2015:
Companies that became Unicorns in 2016:
Companies that became Unicorns in 2017:
Companies that became Unicorns in 2018:
Companies that became Unicorns in 2019:
Companies that became Unicorns in 2020:
- If you would like to help us improve these lists or get these lists in other formats, please “Like” our Facebook page and reach us at Facebook Messenger.
The Future Is Unwritten.